Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Julie's testimony of salvation in Christ

It has been great to have a different member of our class share their testimony of how he or she came to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Here is the testimony Julie shared a few weeks ago.

"A lot of people of guides tell you to start a testimony by telling how your life was before you met Christ. Well, it's a little hard for me to remember because I was so young. But even though I was only eight years old, I do remember being convinced and overwhelmed with the fact that I had sinned or I guess did sin on a regular basis and was in need of a Saviour. I think my parents helped me to be aware of my weakness by showing me their weakness and dependance on Christ. I don't remember them telling me how they had tried to life a good life and be the best parents they could be. I remember them showing me and telling me about their relationship with Jesus Christ. They got up every morning to pray and read the Bible. We read the Bible together every night and prayed as a family. We ministered together as a family. I saw joy, peace, and hope in their relationship with God. So why wouldn't I want that?
I have a terrible memory. But I remember very clearly the weeks leading up to my salvation experience. I would think at every church service- should I go forward during the invitation? And when we were driving in the car, I would say "Dad?" When he said "Yes, Julie?" I would chicken out and say "Never mind". Finally, one night after my Dad read the Bible story, I said it. "Dad, I want to ask Jesus into my heart." He talked me through it and then he let me pray out loud. I prayed "Dear Jesus, please forgive me of my sins and come into my heart" That was it. My mom says I stayed up in my room singing that night- making up songs about how Jesus had saved me. I don't remember that but I do remember the joy and happiness I felt and the tears I cried. And I've learned since then (I was eight- almost 9) that I am weak and in need of God's mercy and grace. I've learned that faith is a gift of God and the reason I've been able to stand firm and say praise theh Lord even through the difficult times is because God gave me the gift of faith. At eight years old, I also knew what I wanted to be when I grew up- a mommy. Going through eight years of infertility has been the hardest thing for me personally. But through it, I was able to say "Only you, Jesus, that is all I need."
This year I'll turn 32 on my birthday, but a week before that on my spiritual birthday, I will turn 24. For 24 years, I have gotten to experience life with the creator of the universe residing in my heart and being to me my best friend, faithful Father, helper, comforter, healer of a broken heart and truly my joy, hope, and peace through all of my life."

No comments: