Let me start out by saying this; Jesus is who He claimed to be, the very Son of God. We know this because of the historical evidence we have that shows He actually died, was burried and rose again on the third day. Christianity is not a leap of blind faith. It is a leap of faith based on historical evidence of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
So, what has Jesus done for me? I am glad you asked.....
I always believed there was a God growing up in a Catholic home, but I never read Gods Word for myself. I just depended on the church to tell me I was going to heaven. I figured I was a good person, no need to worry about hell.
I started working at an ISP in Saint Louis where I met this girl. She was very pretty, dare I say hot, and I wanted to get to know her. I asked her to lunch one day and she accepted. A few minutes in she smacks me in the face with a "boyfriend" comment. I was like, "Check Please."
I had been smoking pot for years and a borderline alcoholic, awwww, who am I kidding, I am an alcoholic. I loved my pot and beer, thought I would smoke for the rest of my life. After a while that girl I went to lunch with started talking to me again. Turns out she dumped that loser and we set a date. I took her to TGI Fridays and we saw "What Women Want." This my friends, was the begining of the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. A relationship with a woman that would have such an impact on me later that I would give up my life to follow Jesus Chirst.
So, we dated for a while. I continued to get high, she would just drink. She used to smoke pot with her ex-boyfriend and she just wasnt hip to it anymore. We were having sex and just flat out fullfilling the pleasure of our flesh with no regard. Well, I had no regard but PRAISE GOD she was having second thoughts. She was getting up on Sunday mornings, leaving my room, and going to church with her Mom and brother. Her brother confronted her with Gods Word telling her that having sex was wrong. She came under conviction of Gods Holy Spirit, and decided to follow Jesus at all costs.
I didnt realize how much she cared for me at the time, it turns out she thought I could be the "one". She told me that she wouldnt be having sex with me anymore, that it wasnt right in Gods eyes. I was devasted. I thought this was a ploy to break up with me. Turns out, the thought of not having her around made me feel something I had never felt before: gut renching pain and heartache. I decided to do whatever it took to keep her. I decided to start going to church with her. To be honest, I thought I could just play up the church thing for a while and eventually everything would go back to normal. Plus, I didnt have to have sex with her because I had hard drives full of porn I downloaded to keep me going. Hmmmmm. Little did I know the power of Gods word and plan for my life were much bigger than the weed, beer, and porn.
I went to church, heard the Word. I even got a Bible, and started reading it. Here is the meat and potatoes dear friends. I was in the basement of my mothers house. I was playing video games and getting high, just like every night. I had a banner on the wall by the TV I could see between my two computer monitors. It was a banner for the death metal band Slayer. My favorite band. I looked up at the banner and I heard a still small voice say, "Why is that there?" Was it me? Was it the countless bong hits I took that night? No. I believe it was the Lord Jesus Christ because it really effected me. I had never experience this kind of thing before. Conviction, and remorse. I got up, walked over to the banner and tore it down. I proceeded to throw away all my Slayer cd's. I havent listeded to them to this day.
Wrapping this up......There was a TON of sin in my life. God weeded them out one-by-one. (pun intended) I never thought I could give up pot, but sure enough the power of God to transform us is bigger than addiction. He gave me such a heart to share Gods word that it made me realize I cant continue to get high and proceed to tell people about Jesus. Sure I still sin, but Jesus Christ has touched my heart in a way that I am willing to lay it all down for Him and His message of hope, forgiveness, love, patience, kindness etc.
O, and that girl I was dating that introduced me to Jesus Chirst, she is now my beautiful wife. We stopped having sex over a year before we married. What a blessing it is knowing that sex didn't play a role in our deciding to spend the rest of our lives together. We get along so well it is scary. We have been blessed with a great son, Jacob and a child on the way due in November 2008.
Becky witnessed to me with her actions that Jesus was Lord of her life. Her mom and brother witnessed to me as well, and prayed for me. Gods will for my life and His plan was in full effect when I met these people. I will never be the same.
All glory and honor are yours Father. May You be glorified through Your Son, Christ Jesus.
Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment